WakaTime – As a growing internet world, each and every stuff from small products to the large contracts of any project and online website for shopping and retailing are available online. Unlike products, several websites for different platforms are developing at a very fast pace for providing facilities to any user worldwide.
WakaTime – Quantify Your Programming – Metrics, Insights, Time Tracking
Websites for helping new buds of programming or well-established programmer are also flooded all over the internet. These sites facilitate programmers in many ways like blogs about certain programming tools, coding modules that are freely available over several websites for easy access to them for including them in their own article.
Some of these websites are designed to track coding time, languages used and progress related to them. One of the most common and best-rated websites is WakaTime. I m using WakaTime as an editor for programming in different languages supported by WakaTime editor. This platform is a very great option for every editor of programming work to ensure their progress.
• Founder: The main goal behind the introduction of WakaTime was to leave a manual tracking method of time and replace them with a more effective and accurate automated dashboard.
• Their mission: WakaTime had worked in the direction of automatic tracking of time for every individual programmer. They have developed an open-source plugin for editing text and IDEs. We editors are provided with insight details of our program code and language used.
• Assets and logos: Developers from the third parties are warmly welcomed by WakaTime and this external developer will help every WakaTime editor to improve software or code written by them in many or some ways. Logos are downloadable from the site to include them as it is in the program code. Similar to logos, assets are also downloaded able.
• Plugins: plugins are available as open-source which can be easily installed for the purpose of seeing the dashboard with a coding metric in a personalized way. 43 editors are technically supported by WakaTime which enables the user to have a complete programming picture.
• 43 editors include Android Studio, App Code, Notepad++, Aptana, Atom, Blender, Brackets, CLion, Chrome, Cloud 9, Coda, CodeTasty, DataGrip, Eric, Eclipse, Imacs, Flash Builder, Gedit, Gogland, IntelliJ IDEA, Kakoune, Kate, Komodo, MonoDevelop, NetBeans, PhpStorm, PyCharm, SQL server, Code::Blocks, Visual studio, Pymakr, Vim, Rider, Unity and much more.
Below are the two main words or phrases over for which WakaTime is open source, before going any further it is important to know what is their means and how they are used.
• IDE – Integrated Development Environment: IDE is a very common term in the software world, it is commonly stands for an integrated development environment. In general, it is a software development application for facilitating comprehensive tools for software development to computer programmers.
It comprises three main fields and those are tools for automation building ( known as build automation tools), the source code editor, and a debugger. Most of the modern IDEs consist of intelligent tools for code completion, along with compiler and interpreter or both.
What Is Text Editors?
Simple and basic programs type for the use of editing text files, of plain nature is called text editors. That software is also termed as notepad software, one of the most common examples of notepad by Microsoft. They are usually either in packages of software development or operating systems.
Features of WakaTime
– Users will get to know how much he or she is spending time on their coding projects. WakaTime provides this feature by tracking our working on code. Every time we user visit WakaTime, our start of coding and the time we stop working is recorded or in other words, tracked.
Other features which are continuously being tracked by WakaTime are:
– The project upon which the user is working. For showing progress reports individually of every project based upon program code language, time, etc.
– All those files open by the user are also being tracked as they develop a history of every individual editor.
– The branch of the program included.
– Commit to the editor but keep their privacy and security as a priority.
– Editor and IDE used in programs.
– Features of programs, this feature is also for maintenance of program development.
– Operating systems on which WakaTime is running by any editor void internet. As every operating system will behave differently in any manner with open software available on the website. These differences could be negligible in any case.
– Languages are being used on programs or software due to the main goal of the website that is tracking language used in programming along with time.
1. Language stats:
– WakaTime provides us editors details about languages statistical data that we are using for editing or development along with statistics of overall timing spent in writing or coding through them.
2. Product usage:
– It automatically detects project running and about their usage but it also ensures security. Editors will never get interrupted while programming by WakaTime.
– Helps its user editors in developing, designing, and creating software that is amazing and needed in the technical world.
3. Metric in commit:
– Manages coding history of editor users for providing stats record of their work on commit based upon coding time.
4. Competitive approach:
– WakaTime provides a competitive platform over which each editor can compare their overall coding timing and activities based upon it with their friends or contacts.
As a user of WakaTime for text editing since 2015 which is a long duration of 2 years, I have found all the above features of WakaTime very helpful.
They help me and my programmer friends and circle track our progress and help us improve our code via external editors which they call a third-party editor.
WakaTime has maintained my record of overall coding time since I began using it and with the percentage of different language usage.
I recommend WakaTime to every programmer and editor for the development of a new project or writing program. It does most of our work which every programmer or editor used to do manually. Let your work happen automatically in a technical way and enjoy your work.