How to Uninstall Xcode from Mac: Xcode for Mac is a developer tool to create applications for Mac, iPhone, and iPad. It is the best tool for developers designed by Apple.
Here we are going to share the correct way to uninstall Xcode on Mac with Terminal. But first, let me tell you that why I can’t delete Xcode in a normal way.
Table of Contents
How to Uninstall Xcode from Mac
To delete Xcode from you Mac, you must keep in mind that its uninstallation differs from simple application removal. Especially because when you try to reinstall Xcode in future the remaining service files of the app may block you.
What is Xcode?
It is a native development tool for Mac and iOS operating systems. It has a number of useful utilities that are required for application development processes. The use of Xcode for a long period can create gigabytes of cached data.
One more unpleasant point about Xcode is that even after task completion caches still take significant disk space.
What is the need to Uninstall Xcode?
If you don’t use Xcode or its utilities it’s an excellent idea to uninstall it. The primary reason to delete that Xcode takes up a lot of disk space. Xcode takes 7GB of the disk space that is consumed by the installation and the installer application alone is another 1.8GB, it is a lot of storage capacity taken up by an application if there is no use.
Steps to Uninstall Xcode 9, Xcode 8 from Mac OS X
Uninstalling of Xcode is much similar to erasing like other applications from the Mac.
- Navigate the applications or folder to search X code application
- Drag Xcode to the recycle bin and empty the trash by right-clicking on the trash icon and select empty trash.
You probably want to delete the user developer tools folder, don’t do the same as this includes user developer data. If you have projects and other data in the Xcode that you haven’t taken the backup to take care of it.
The directory is the Library developer, the user folder contains Xcode and Core Simulator folders.
- Open the user home directory and move to the library
- Click the Developer folder and delete it.
By trashing these folders along with the application you can restore 11GB of disk space from Mac and OS X will no longer have Xcode.
If you’ve installed command line tools individually, they should not be obstructed by deleting Xcode itself.
How to Uninstall Xcode from Mac [ Step by Step Guide ]
Uninstallation of Xcode is different for earlier releases of the app. The direction which is given below is valid for all earlier versions of Xcode.
Yet you will find doing so is not the same as uninstalling common Mac apps or even leaving the default apps because Xcode has much larger footsteps, so in order to uninstall Xcode, you need to endeavor into the command line.
It will delete everything related with Xcode from a Mac:
- Launch the terminal, found in the application or utilities and type the path.
- Confirms the admin passwords that are required for sudo and let the scripts run.
Remove the install Xcode Application
In case you uninstall Xcode, the original install Xcode application maybe still in your application or folder as you have downloaded from the Mac App Store. If you skip the deletion you are wasting 1.8GB of the disk space.
How to Delete Xcode with Software Uninstaller?
You can remove Xcode in another way. In this method, 5you can save your time from browsing in the library folder. We recommend you to use a free uninstaller i.e. App Cleaner & Uninstaller Pro. This app is helpful in uninstalling a program completely. And you can find what’s left of already deleted apps and manage extensions.
- Download the App via the App Store.
- Scan the Significant Programs Installed on your Mac.
- Select Xcode.
- Click Remove.
Use Appcleaner by means of an Uninstaller Program
You can select an Appcleaner like a traditional uninstaller program similar to that found in windows. It provides a list of all installed Mac apps and you can delete an individual or groups of apps delete through Appcleaner.
The default applications will show a lock icon stating that they can’t be removed with Appcleaner. If you still wish to do delete the default apps you can do the same with the help of the command line.
App cleaner is compatible with most versions of OS X. There are two versions of Appcleaner are available to download for free.
- Older version supports Mac OS X 10.4 via Mac OS X 10.6.5
- The newest version supports Mac OS X 10.6.6 through Mac OS X 10.10+
How to quickly remove Xcode
Download clean MyMac 3 for free for the fastest removal of Xcode. The whole process will take some minutes and takes all your worry about the leftover files or deleting the wrong thing as in manual removal.
Launch CleanMyMAC 3
1. Click the Uninstaller tab.
2. Find Xcode from the list and select it
3. Click Uninstall
4. Now you have to deal with caches and stray parts
5. Select the system junk tab
6. Run Scan
7. Click the option review details
8. Scroll to the bottom and select Xcode junk
9. Click clean.
If you want to uninstall Xcode or just get rid of old Xcode junk, it is good to go ahead. You will get more storage places and install a light, clean and faster Xcode.
App Cleaner and Uninstaller
Delete the application services file to make sure that they are not taking precious space on your Mac. Disabling unwanted login items increases the speed of Mac.
The best part of an App cleaner and installer is it uninstall applications completely.
Features of App cleaner
1. Scan the system and see the installed applications
2. It removes all types of service files.
3. It removes previously uninstalled apps.
4. It removes system extensions.
5. It resets the launch agents and system daemons.
6. It previews the login items.
7. It finds and preview installed system extensions.
8. It is user-friendly
9. You can view any file of an app quickly
10. It is a specific app associated with file formats preview.
11. It shows unused applications.
12. It skips the list options.
How to uninstall an application with the help of App cleaner
- Open the app cleaner
- Scan all the applications for service files.
- Select the unwanted files by ticking the box in the left side
- Select its service files by viewing right.
- Click the option remove
Note: In case some apps were not removed, you need to switch to the finder. And move all files manually to the trash.
Some applications cannot be removed because they need to administer instruction. For that, you should switch to the Finder and delete the application file in a simple manner.
The free model of the app cleaner applies to
1. You can preview all the installed apps
2. You can preview all the service files for apps
3. To remove service files for apps
4. To reset apps to the first-run state
5. To preview installed extensions and widgets
6. It disables the launch agents and startup items
7. It removes the remaining broken service files.
The pro mode of the app cleaner applies to
1. To remove executable part of applications
2. To remove the system extensions
3. To disable the Ads.
All the best uninstall Xcode from your Mac!
Related Tags: How to Uninstall Xcode from Mac.